Wednesday, December 22, 2010
Sunday, December 5, 2010
We will be singing a beautiful song, selected by Gladwin. Hope you got the the lyrics of the song along with the link to the mp3 file (thanks to Jerry and Ruby for mp3 and lyrics).
Please get yourself accustomed, and join the Yuvajana Sakhyam while singing.
We will also have a practice session at 4:45 PM on Saturday, just before the Carols' start.
Reminder : Our Christmas Carols will be on Saturday Dec 11th @ 6:00 PM. It will followed by dinner so that's another reason you MUST make it :-).
Enjoy the wonderful Christmas season ahead.
Friday, December 3, 2010
We had a fairly good number of members with three new members coming in. A warm welcome to Renz, Doanna and Jesmine.
We discussed quite a few things :
a) Introduction of Cottage Fellowship. Please post your comments about what is an appropriate time and day of the week.
b) Introduce a Youth League Choir so that we can participate more proactively in competitions and church service.
c) Time to practice for Christmas program. We need to present a 3-5 minute event during the Carol service.
Suggestion was made to ensure all members participate in the activities of the Yuvajana Sakhyam by way of conducting activities, games etc so that next year we are better prepared.
We had a repeat telecast :-) of the mimicry by Christo.
Other members, try to present your activity (like poetry etc..) in the next meeting.
See you in church later this week.
Sunday, November 28, 2010
View the photo album on the church website here.
Friday, November 26, 2010
More details here.
Monday, November 22, 2010
You can get the schedule details on our web page.
Various committee members have been identified.
Host for Various events :
Singing Segment : Robin, Dayana, Deena
One Act Play Segment : Renosh, Biju, Aju
Painting Segment : Sweety, Biju, 1 member from Tambaram
Essay Writing Segment : Anish (Kuruvilla), 1 member from Tambaram
Registration Desk: Sam, Anoop, Cinchu, 2 members from Tambaram
Hospitality / Travel/ Food : Sherin, Rooshan, Cinchu
Food Committee : Biju, Sherin, Rooshan
Lets meet on Friday 5 PM at Church for practice for the group songs. Also the various hosts should make it by then.
Have a great week ahead.
Friday, November 19, 2010
Individual Events :
English : Solo (1 given + 1 songs): Nia, Ruby
Malayalam Song (Any 1 song) : Solo : Nia, Ruby
Essay Writing : ? , Sujith
Poetry : Christo, Soumya
Elocution : Sujith, Rino
Mimicry : Christo
Recitation : Cinchu, Deepti
Sketching : Deena, ?
Painting : Deena, ?
Cartooning : ?
Clay Modelling : Kuruvilla, Sherin
Instrumental Music :
String - Jenzo
Keyboard - Nia
Wind - Nia
GROUP EVENTS :
Singing :- English (2 songs ) : Everyone : Up to 12 members. We will sing the song, Blessed Assurance & O What a wonderful day.. .
Singing :- Malayalam : Everyone : Up to 12 members.
One Act Play : ?
Bible Quiz : Christo, Gladwin, ?
Choreography : ?
Tableau : Christo & Team
The above list was updated on Nov. 22
- It was the CSI, CNI, Marthoma Church Unity Sunday.
- The main theme was one flock, one shepherd. Rev. Samuel stressed on the need for unity among all for fullness of life.
- It was based on the Bible portion: St. John 10. The threat of globalization and manipulation is far from what we read about the good shepherd in John's gospel.
- We need to also remember that we are all equal in God's sight. Take it literally. No exceptions, and seek the other so that we lead more humane lives.
Sunday, November 7, 2010
Today is celebrated as World Sunday School Day and Ms Nisha of the Velachery Prayer group gave the sermon.
To summarize, the sermon highlighted the four important characteristics of Jesus.
- Deep Knowledge : we too should strive to learn in-depth, of whatever we work in.
- Sense of duty
One important note : The Kalamela is being held in our Parish. Hence we need the help of all members to conduct the activities successfully. Those who may not be registered members can participate by organizing the events.
Here is a list of persons with events we have in mind for them. This is far from the starting line up. So please register yourselves.
Individual Events :
English : Solo (1 given + 1 songs): Nia, Ruby
Malayalam Song (Any 1 song) : Solo : Gladwin, Ruby
Essay Writing : Dayana , Sujith
Poetry : Christo, Soumya
Elocution : Sujith, Deepti
Mimicry : Gladwin
Recitation : Cinchu
Sketching : Nancy, Deena
Painting : Nancy, Deena
Cartooning : ?
Clay Modelling : ?
Instrumental Music : Jenzo, Ashwin
GROUP EVENTS :
Singing :- English (2 songs ) : Everyone : Up to 12 members. We will sing the song, Blessed Assurance & Amazing Grace.
Singing :- Malyalam : Everyone : Up to 12 members.
One Act Play :
Bible Quiz : Grace, Christ, ..
Tableau : Christo & Team
To get more details about the various events, please take a look at the details here.
We have not finalized the above list. Please get in touch with Gibu / Christo / Cinchu if you want to participate.
On another note, Preetha, one of our Youth League members, is getting married to Arun (who works in Bangalore). On behalf of the Yuvajana Sakhyam, we wish her happy married life !
Hope you are enjoying your long weekend. See you all in church next week.
Thursday, November 4, 2010
Every one added their there valuable points and shared their life experience.
We also decided to give Ravi some gift for his marriage.
We concluded the meeting with prayer, by Lincy.
- Kuruvilla Mathew
Sunday, October 31, 2010
Saturday, October 23, 2010
His speech in church was equally challenging. The youth meeting was a follow on discuss to the sermon in church.
The sermon in church was based on the healing of the paralytic person by Jesus. The paralytic was brought to Jesus by 4 persons. Their faith resulted in the healing of the paralyzed man.There is a difference between being cured and being healed. Healing involves the healing of the heart too. And the four persons here can be looked at, like the community of people who need to help the poor. We must bring in a meaningful change by our faith in the lives of the poor people. He also called upon everyone, to go out of the way, like the 4 persons who broke open the roof of the house, in the parable, to make a change in our society.
Next sunday is the Family Sunday. Do bring your family members too when coming to church and celebrate the Holy Qurbana as a family.
Tuesday, September 28, 2010
We started off with the Minutes of the Committee Meeting held on Sept. 25. The accounts of the Onam programs were also presented and passsed.
This was followed by dumb charades. The gathering was divided in to 2 teams. Each team had to ask one of their representatives to act out a character, like St Thomas, St. Stephen etc, while the rest guessed the character.
It was easier than expected as almost every team guessed all their characters ! All well versed in the Bible. It also shows -why we had a lot of accolades for the skit presented in the Onam Celebrations :-)
Important Note : Oct. 2nd Week - Oct 10th Sunday will be the Youth Sunday. Please make sure all attend it and be blessed. Rev. V. M. Mathew achen will lead the worship service and retreat program.
BTW do not forget to post your comments in the Onam Program blogs, ....
Saturday, September 25, 2010
The below are the list of items discussed during the Committee Meeting.
1) Youth Sunday will be held on Oct 10, 2010. Rev. V. M. Mathew will be the chief guest. All activities during worship service will be conducted by the Yuvajana Sakhyam Members. The meeting will be followed by lunch.
2) Audited Accounts for the Onam Program was presented by Cinchu and passed. Details attached.
3) It was decided to create a Josy Memorial Fund aimed at charity works and in memory of Late Mr. Josy who was an active member of the church and Youth League for 3 years. A minimum corpus of Rs 60,000 will be created and the interest of the same will be used for sponsoring a student via the SPMC Adyar Charitable Society. Approx. Rs 5000 per Year has to be generated for this purpose. The remaining collections made will be used towards charitable activities on a need basis.
4) We will have the Center Kalla Mela at our parish in the second week of November. We need to organize a fund raising program for the same. We plan to do a bookmarks, Christmas card sale etc during that time.
5) One day outing: We plan to have one on Jan 26, 2010.
Other items mentioned are
* Shift the account from the previous members to the new members.
* Purchase a cup board
* Print a Yuvajana Sakhyam Letter Pad
Monday, September 6, 2010
I think the title summarizes our Onam Programs for 2010. First of all thank God for His grace all throughout the program.
This is going to be a very short post. A detailed one may follow with more snaps.
The below photograph summarizes the spirit of participation and participants.
It was team work all the way. Lots of effort were put into direction, production, editing, implementation, practicing of the various programs, buying stuff, pookalam, selling coupons, etc. I am sure everyone enjoyed it to the fullest !
Thanks to all members of the Yuvajana Sakhyam and organizations like Sunday School, Choir etc. for their timely participation.
I am posting just a few photographs now, as there are 180+ to sort through. Will go through it and upload relevant ones later. Please post comments on the photos / events in the whole program so that it refreshes our memories !
More snaps below ..............
above is - "the directors special"
... there are only videos for the British scene. ...
Have a great week ahead.
ps: Updated at 5 PM , Sept 7th
TO POST A COMMENT IN THE BLOG, Follow the below steps :
1) PUT YOUR REPLY in the textfield at the bottom of the page here.
3) Select "Comment As" drop down box and select Anonymous
4) Then press "POST COMMENT"
5) After posting a comment, a word verification screen will come up, fill it and go on.
Friday, September 3, 2010
All are welcome for the Onam Celebrations at the St. Paul Marthoma Church on Sept 5th, 20
Yuvajana Sakhyam Members, please make it a point to attend.
All members can come for the singing and other practice session on Saturday at 4 PM at church.
Also all are welcome on stage for singing the Yuvajana Sakhyam Onam Song.
There will be a skit with lots of cultural programs, games and ofcourse Onam Sadhya !
Hope to see you all !
Saturday, August 21, 2010
Saturday, August 7, 2010
Well we had a great start with participation from many members of the St Pauls Marthoma Church Youth League. We had a 7 member football team. Everyone gathered at 7:30 AM and we headed to the YMCA Grounds at Nandanam. Our match was at 10 AM and we were all charged up.
SMS from Gladwin :
Vettukathi Vineeth ..... to be replied at the bottom....
The teams were good. One tidbit. There was one international team with 3 guys from Africa and another 2 girls from Australia (not sure).. They represented Powerhouse A Team and won their match 2-0.
Our matches got started at 10:10 AM. It got over just in time for us get back for the Onam practice sessions. Oh.. btw the score line was 2-0.
Special thanks to Regi and Family for turning up. We also had another visitor Bharath for encouragement.
Thanks to all the participants and see you in church tomorrow. Checkout more snaps below.
SMS From Biju :
Yenthokke pukilayirunnu !
Avasanam Pavanai Shavamai :-)
Monday, August 2, 2010
Even today we had 2 new members. A warm welcome to them.
Today's meeting was all about planning for the Onam celebrations. It was very interactive. Those who missed it, please join us next week. We have formed 3 committees.
- Program Committee
- Finance Committee
- Food Committee
I am under strict orders to reveal nothing more than that, as far as the events are:-) So join us next week to know more.
BTW we did have a good brunch sale conducted by the Sevika Sangam before the meeting, so there was even more energy this time.
Well as if that was not enough, some of the YL members re-grouped for a football practice session. Next saturday, 8AM (unconfirmed time) we will have our matches at YMCA grounds, Nandanam. Hope we will have some crowd to cheer the team.
Sunday, July 25, 2010
We will have our Onam Celebrations on Sept 5. That's the new dates. Hope all of you will be back from your trip for your own "Onam celebrations" in Kerala with family.
Nia & Robin taught us a new Onam song - Kera Nirakal Aadum. However... an update : we may not sing this song. However those who want to hear this awesome song, please check out this youtube video.
Will get back with more details when we do have it.
BTW thanks to the members who ensured the youth league meeting started off on time (within 15 minutes of church ending).
A warm welcome to the new members.
We also have a football team almost ready for the Tournament being conducted by the Chetpet Church as part of the Platinum jubilee celebrations.Those interested please post a comment or send an email to the group.
Have a great week ahead.
Monday, July 19, 2010
BTW since this post also goes out to all new visitors, let me take the opportunity to welcome all the visitors to the St Paul's Marthoma Church Adyar (www.spmcadyar.org). To be precise, we have 24 persons newly added to this mailing list today. I know many may be already regular visitors to the church. Do come for the Youth League as it could help mold your lives according to the will of God. That's one part of the goal. It also helps you socialize with people of your own thought process.
We also had 3 coupon books to be sold and it was done quite easily by our most active members :-).
The singing session started a bit late. We had a follow up discussion with Rev Jacob Achen.
We decided we will have a quick re-cap of what we heard in the sermon before we start the discussion. Members please remember we have to make the session interactive, hence try to collect some points to share and think of questions for the speaker during the sermon itself. Lets make every minute we spend count.
The main theme of the sermon in church was love as a common denominator. It ended of with a true story about the Rickshaw Puller and a small girl, that reminded what charity really is.
Some of the below points were asked during the youth meeting.
The first was the significance of turning the other cheek when one of it was slapped. A point was highlighted that it does not mean submission to wrong doing.
The story of the Rickshaw Puller was touching as it showed what we consider charity. It highlighted the fact that we need to give our time and effort for others. Money alone is not sufficient. Giving money out of abundance is not charity. Quality over quantity matters. I would leave it to one of the members to add a comment with the details of the story in this blog.
I am sure there were other points discussed, I hope other members would chime in.
We will have our Onam Celebrations along with the Church Harvest Festival on Sept 4 & 5. Our Thirumeni, Rt. Rev. Chrysostom Marthoma Vellia Metropolitan will attend and grace the occassion. We plan to have some games and activities organised during that weekend.
Football Tournament - MTC Futsal :
We will also participate in the football tournament conducted by the Chennai Center Youth League to be help on 7 & 8th August at the YMCA Grounds, Nandanam. We will get back with the exact times for the matches by end of the week.
We also decided to opt out of the Shuttle Tournament organised by the Christian Sports League.
BTW if you missed the Jul 11th session, don't miss to read the blog post titled Confessional Prayer of the Marthoma Church.
Hope to see those who did not attend today, next week.
Have a great week ahead.
Saturday, July 17, 2010
There will be Series of messages on the Sacrement of the Marthoma Church on every Second Sunday.
Why do we believe in Public Confession?
Public confession is a tradition dating back to the time of reformation in the church. Public confession is an act of affirming the sinful nature of oneself before God and the community. Belief is with support and help of the community, hence public confession.
The Prayer of Confession can be divided into three statements.
- Statement to God
- Statement of Sin
- Statement of Redemption
Each statement has 3 subparts.
Statement to God
The Statement to God addresses God the Father who created the world, Jesus the Son who is the Savior and the Holy Spirit.
- God the Father created us in his image .Therefore we are both spiritually and cosmically like him. Hence we are inherently good and have the potential to be good. However He has given us the freedom to do good or evil. It is when we misuse the freedom that God has given us that we fall into sin. (Creator God). In spite of our sins God forgives us like our parents.
- Jesus dies on the Cross and saved us from sin. God sent His Son in the form of a Human to save us. Even though Jesus redeemed us, we still continue to sin (Redeemer God).
- Holy Spirit reminds us about what is good and bad. The Holy Spirit is like our conscience which tells us the difference between good and evil and guides us. The Holy Spirit is the Counselor within us.(Reference- John14:16)
Statement of Sin
We sin through Thought, Word and Deed
Thought – we sin through Thought because our intentions are not correct; we are filled with malignant thoughts which direct the course our thoughts are shaped. (Reference - Acts 8: 21)
Word – we sin through words which are usually said on the spur of the moment or during quarrels. (Reference- Proverbs 12: 18, 19)
Deed- we sin through our actions because our deeds are not good (Reference Luke 23: 41, 42)
Thought, Word and Deed are related to each other at some level. Hence our thoughts will affect our words and actions and vice versa.
Statement on Redemption
Redemption is meant for persons who are truly sorry for their sins. Even people who you think can never be accepted are also forgiven.
- Woman who was a sinner – she took the initiative to confess.(Luke 7 : 47,48)
- Publican – the tax collector Levi – Jesus took the initiative and goes to the sinner (Luke 5: 27-29)
- Thief on the cross – even at the time of death you can confess.(Luke 23: 41,42)
- Confession is like a new handshake with God.
- Communion is like a Fellowship meal with God. (Psalms 103: 6-8)
- Even if a person is a sinner, God will honour him if he comes back.
- Serious and repeated confession will give you a control over sin. Dedication is necessary; i.e., you have to be truly sorry for your sins.
- Confession is an every time, anywhere activity.
Please post any comments on additions or corrections to the content. Any factual errors, do let us know by posting to this blog, so that we can make corrections.
- Ashish & Biju
Friday, July 9, 2010
Editing and existing entry:
- Switch on the display by plugging it in.
- Choose the entry by using the Up and Down arrow key
- To edit a specific entry. press F1, now edit the entry using the keyboard. Be patient, it is slow.
- Once making changes, press Enter, then F12. Now it begins to scroll.
- Press F9 to make it stop the scroll. Press Up or Down arrow key as appropriate to reach the right entry.
- Switch on the display, in the state when it is scrolling, press F8
- Now you will see different options.
- The first entry is GAP:01 then press Enter to view the next option.
- Speed:05 Enter
- Wait:02 Enter
- Now you can add content. By default the font may be big, reduce it by pressing F5 and the save as usual by pressing Enter and F12.
Resetting All Entries:
- While the text is scrolling (typically happens when you start BRIM for the first time or when you press Esc), press F11.
- You will see SET TIME on the screen. When you see this, press the UP Arrow key and then navigate to CLEAR ALL.
- Enter Y and DELETE ALL MESSAGES.
- Now Enter one by one in the normal procedure as mentioned above.
Thursday, July 8, 2010
At the beginning of his reign in Jerusalem, King Nebuchadnezzar of babylon ordered his chief Ashpenaz to bring in the most brilliant men in Israel. The men were to be young and from noble families, having physical appeal and showing aptitude in all kinds of areas. These men were to be taught the culture and literature of Babylon. In this passage, Jerusalem represents the 'land of god' and Babylon the 'land of satan'. It shows how satan tries to bend people to his will by forcing them to the act of idol worship. He does this with great shrewdness, by taking the young from their families and showering them wit luxury. The young men were given food from the king's table and the finest wine to drink. He knows tat the old are fixed in their ways and the young are impressionable.
Among these men were Daniel, Hananiah, Mishaul and Azariah. They were all given new names by the chief official. Daniel did not object to any of the luxuries on fine education he was given. Nor did he object to his new name, which was an insult to his beliefs. He believed all such things were superficial in nature. None of those depicted who he was as a person. But he would not indulge himself with the royal food and wine. He felt such an act would be an act of treachery to his faith.
The chief feared that if the King saw Daniel looking lean and unhealthy compared to the other men, the king would punish him. Daniel challenged him, telling him to give him and his friends nothing but vegetables and water for 10 days. At the end of 10 days, Daniel and his friends were much healthier and nourished than any of the other men. From this we understand that god provides everything we could ever need, If we just believe in him. Daniel and his friends firm belief in the lord, even in the face of the enemy is admirable and our faith should be independent of the circumstance.
These four men were dear to god and he blessed him with the gifts of knowledge and understanding. From this we see that gods love shows no bounds for those who are not afraid to stand up for him, whatever the situation. The king found Daniel and his friends 10 times more brilliant than anyone else and showered them with riches and high positions at court.
Sunday, June 27, 2010
- Notice of the Center Youth League will be held at 10 AM next Saturday, Jul 3rd, 2010.
- Announced the availability of this website.
- Mr. Robin Varghese reminded us to socialize and welcome the guests to the church, especially youngsters. He also highlighted the need to conduct the Onam celebrations well.
Date: 26th June ' 10
Greetings to you in the name of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.
The Annual General Body Meeting of the Chennai Centre Mar Thoma Yuvajana Sakhyam will be held at The Madras Mar Thoma Syrian Church, Chetpet at 10am on July 3rd 2010.
- Presentation/Approval of Annual Report 2009 – 10
- Presentation/Approval of Annual Accounts 2009 – 10
- Presentation/Approval of Annual Budget 2010 - 11
- Election of Office Bearers for 2010 – 11
- Any other matters with the permission of the Chair.
Devotional Talk will be given by Rev. V.M Mathew, Former Asst. Secretary of Yuvajana Sakhyam.
All the Yuvajana Sakhyam members are cordially invited to attend the meeting.
Yours in Christ's Service,
Ms. Liba Varghese
Chennai Centre MTYS.
Sunday, June 20, 2010
- Intro to new members
- 2 Songs
- Bible Reading (if there is no leadership)
- Updates from the last meeting
- Testimony if required
- We will have Discussion/ Debate based on the sermon given in church
The Bible does not say that "all things" shall be yours. But tells "all these" things shall be yours. Read the above verse again.