Last Sunday we had a very interesting discussion in our sakhyam meeting.
Our Gurukul friend Mr. Jijo Thankachen started talking about The Mar Thoma Yuvajana Sakhyam and he explained what all we should know about our Yuvajana Sakhyam. Followed by this topic he asked all members to write one or two programs which they would like done in our Sakhyam meetings. All were interested i doing this exercise and based on their choice we divided the groups in to four. There were four different topics.
Then each group had discussed about their topics separately and came up with good ideas on how we can implement these. One person from each group came forward and explained their suggestion.
Ideally we need to plan and follow a theme for a month. Based on the theme each team should present their activities.
Team A - Dayana, Alex, Rainu, Kevin
- Commitment towards any social organization for a period and providing necessary assistance for their crucial needs
- Regular visit to this organization
- Providing monetary help
- Providing clothes
- Tuition for kids
- Taking them outing once in a year
- Sponsoring a child or an inmates expense
Team B - Kuruvilla, Deepti, Feba, Lidiya
Our group discussed on the topic how Youth Members of our church can help in the GO GREEN activity that's been progressing all around us. But we need to think about the fact that are we participating in such activities.God made this beautiful world and is given to mankind to take care of it. Are we doing the task that is entrusted on us?
So as a youth member of this parish, how can we save our environment. Small initiatives might change the world and make it a better place to live. Some of the initiatives that we can do :
Use emails wherever possible instead of paper. Avoid printing papers unnecessarily.
Avoid the use of plastics in our parish and let the youth ensure whether it is being accomplished .
Use paper cups or steel cups (paper plates/steel plates ).
Donate a jute bag or paper bag to every youth and ensure whether they are using properly.Carry that bag wherever you go and ensure you are not bringing a plastic cover/bag home. If such an initiative works out in the right manner,we can tell the church members about our GO Green activity and ask them to do so (by giving /selling them jute bags).
Ensure that the electrical appliances are unplugged /switched off when we are not using them.
Take adequate steps to buy the appropriate quantity of food so that it will not be wasted.
Team C - Allen, Galdwin, Blessy, Cinchu
1. Invite senior citizens to the sakhyam meeting to share their thoughts and experiences. Try and conduct programs for the senior citizens in our church, visit them, which would be a good way to make them happy.
2. Make the presence of the youth league felt in the church by conducting youth Sunday once in a month or so, singing new songs once in a while on Sundays etc...
3. Encourage praise and worship services.
4. Bible study: Take a bible verse, spread it to all members, each and everyone do a study on the given verse and discuss it the next Sunday.
5. Name the trees in the church compound. Take up plant trees campaign in the church and the surrounding areas.
6. Try and have a uniform, when we go as youth league for programs or competitions.
7. Send thoughts to all the members on a regular basis in order to encourage the youth in our church to come for the youth league meetings.
8.Talk to the new people who come to church and invite them for our meetings.
9. Encourage more team work.
Team D - Sujith, Jerin, Nia, Aneesh
1. Detail class and video presentation on our liturgy and history
2 Gospel concert and worship
3 Lucky draw for the poor and needy
4 Debate on current affairs
5 Monthly theme - for a year 12 theme
6 One day tour
7 Two day camp
8 youth meeting in an orderly manner - Bible reading, songs, daily activities, minutes reading
Thank you all for your valuable suggestions and hope we can implement at least some of it.
Special thanks to Mr. Jijo Thankachen, who had conducted this event.
Let us work together and bring out excellent results.